Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Its Party Time in Pune

At 12 in the night, in the middle of writing the operation of Exchange Databases, I was buzzed by my friends – reminding me of a party. I knew I was invited, but I had conveniently hoped that they had forgotten me and I could manage to get by unnoticed. But people have a way of remembering you exactly on occasions when you expect them not to and vice-versa. Its one of those things in life that you find so irritating but you really can’t do anything about.

Anyway, so these folks remember my existence midway through the party. It is probably because the party is getting boring. Consider this, whenever you are invited to a bash by your buddies and you don’t turn up, and in the middle of it they call you and really force you to come over - no dude, they are not missing you. They are plain bored and are just seeking new modes of entertainment. They expect to have that by virtue of your arrival or by bitching about your refusal. Either ways, you are just a source of entertainment for them.

So I have to go, because I haven’t mastered the tact of being politely rude to people. And half an hour later I find myself in the middle of inane jokes, booze and chicken, some dude acting like he is Sylvester Stallone and Jim Carrie rolled into one, folks with plastic smiles on their faces, like some got enlarged prints of the :D yahoo smilies and pasted it on everyone, 3 completely dumb women who have no clue what the conversation is all about, 7 semi intelligent men who are figuring out ways of getting any of the girls into bed. Basically a bunch of folks with absolutely nothing to do after work and no one who gives damn about their existence. Give or take a few more things like the absence or presence of music, the degree of female body-part visibility, the amount of raucousness and inanity of conversation, and that’s what all Pune's parties are.


Trust me, I am not Bohemian, or anti-social. I love people and I love hanging out with friends. But Pune's parties seem so fake. All of them give me the feeling of a huge socio-emotional void that is nagging everyone and that people are trying to fill through artificial means.

Ten people sitting in a room, making mindless conversation, mostly about sex, trying desperately to appear happy - so hard at work that it makes them sweat, and sitting with the full knowledge that none of them gives a damn about anyone else in the room. This is what we are at our best of times. Can there be anything more tragic than this? And is this truly what society and socializing is all about?

1 comment:

G Shrivastava said...

Cynical as they come, aren't you? But I can't help but agree with you on this one - I've oft wondered abt this phenomena of our age. There is this driving need to be surrounded by people all the time, and be "in" and "hep" and "rocking" and "having the time of your life" - but at what cost?
Was a time when I felt left-out coz I didn't have enough "friends" but today I am glad that I have "friends" in the real sense of the term and not just a random collection of ppl to indulge in inanities...

Btw don't be so harsh on Pune - parties in social circuits all over resemble the one you've described...for if there is one thing we are all desperately trying to do, is to fill this void inside us; only most of us have no freaking clue how to do it...after all very few of us are actually enlightened ;-)

Je t'embrasse!

 
Copyright 2009 Observations from the rooftop. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan